Mary J. Sherlach Counseling Center
The Mary J. Sherlach Counseling Center provides a therapeutic clinical setting for individual and family therapy, group therapy, and crisis intervention. These services are available for Trumbull residents, Town employees and students who attend Trumbull schools.
Enhancing Quality of Life for Our Residents
The counseling center is a department of the Town of Trumbull and is dedicated to enhancing the quality of life in Trumbull by providing counseling for residents and their families. All Trumbull residents and children attending Trumbull schools are eligible for services. All counseling services are confidential and fees are based on a sliding-scale according to family income and ability to pay.
If you or a loved one is having a mental health crisis:
- CT Information Hotline 211 or go to www.211ct.org for mobile crisis support for individuals and/or children.
- Kids in Crisis also has a 24-hour hotline for assistance 203-661-1911.
- NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Health): If you need to talk to someone, text NAMI to 741741 or call the NAMI Helpline at 1-800-950-NAMI (6264).
- Alcoholics Anonymous: Please contact your site to see if meetings are continuing in your neighborhood.
- The Hub CT is Southwest Connecticut’s Regional Behavioral Health Action Organization. Check their website for useful resources for mental health, prevention and wellness.
- Crisis/Trauma Intervention
- Diversionary Youth Services
- Family Counseling
- Individual Counseling
- Referral Services
- Substance Abuse Counseling
- Support Groups
- Youth Enrichment Programs
Typical counseling goals include family interventions to address childhood attention deficit and behavior issues, parent-child conflicts, adolescent concerns, juvenile court referrals, domestic violence, divorce issues, and individual or family psychotherapy.
When working with children, staff counselors strive to develop a team approach to treatment, coordinating the services of parents, teachers, guidance counselors, and doctors, as needed. Confidentiality is strictly enforced according to the wishes of clients or parents. The team approach is by the client’s permission only, and not required. Services can also be coordinated with outpatient hospital aftercare.
Counseling staff is available to community groups as guest speakers and for crisis counseling. Community service information and referral advice is available by phone.