COVID-19 Update - March 12, 2020
Dear Trumbull Residents,
As cases of COVID-19 continue to increase throughout Southwest Connecticut, we can assume it is actively being transmitted in Trumbull even though there have been no diagnosed cases to date. Based on an abundance of caution, and in order to protect the health and welfare of our community, the following measures are being taken in accordance with guidance from state and national health officials.
Effective Friday, March 13, 2020 and until further notice:
- All Trumbull public and private schools are closed until further notice. This applies to all athletic events and practices, club meetings and student activities.
- Before and after school childcare programs, such as TLC, are closed.
- All school out-of-district and out-of-state field trips are cancelled or postponed.
- The Trumbull Library and Fairchild Wheeler Library are closed and all programs, meetings, and events are cancelled or postponed. Please check the Trumbull Library website for more information.
- The Trumbull Senior Center is closed. Food pantry and other limited services will be available.
- School and town group events are cancelled or postponed. Cancelled or postponed events will be posted on the Town and Board of Education websites. This will include PTA events.
- All Trumbull Recreation programs and town-sponsored sporting events are canceled. All team sports activities, including those with permits, are also canceled. All town sports fields are closed.
- Outside groups will not be permitted to use town and school facilities, including school gyms and auditoriums, the Trumbull Library Community Room, and the Helen Plumb Building.
- These measures are in effect indefinitely and will be reassessed frequently to determine if they should continue.
While tensions, are high we need to remain calm and focused, and take precautions to limit community transmission. The most important message to all our residents is that if you or members of your family are feeling sick, PLEASE STAY HOME, and seek professional medical advice by calling your medical provider before going to the office. If you are among the high-risk population for COVID-19 (older adults and people with chronic medical conditions), please take extra precautions to reduce your risk of getting sick with the disease. These precautions can be found at https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/specific-groups/high-risk-complications.html. In addition, we urge all residents to follow social distancing recommendations by staying home as much as possible and avoiding large crowds. More information about steps to prevent illness can be found at: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/about/steps-when-sick.html . These measures are designed to slow down transmission of the virus.
These steps are not taken lightly, and we recognize the inconvenience, expense, and concerns these measures raise; however, they are needed in order to keep our community safe. Information on COVID-19 and on the virus with links to the State and CDC websites can be found on the Town of Trumbull website at https://www.trumbull-ct.gov/. We appreciate your cooperation and understanding during these trying times.
Luci Bango, MPH, REHS, RS
Trumbull Director of Health
Vicki A. Tesoro
Ralph M. Iassogna
Interim Superintendent of Schools