Postponement of Taxes due January 1, 2021
On Wednesday, December 16, 2020, Governor Lamont issued Executive Order 9R. This order allows municipalities to apply the same tax program that offered relief to municipal taxpayers last spring, to local property and specified other taxes that will become due and payable on January 1, 2021.
As many of our homeowners and businesses are still struggling due to this crisis, I have decided, in accordance with the Governor’s order, that the municipal tax deferment (postponement) program approved by the Trumbull Town Council on 4/21/2020 giving all of our taxpayers, residents, and businesses the ability to postpone payment of their local property taxes will be applied to the tax bills that will become due and payable on January 1, 2021.
The last day for payment of these taxes without interest is extended from Monday, February 1, 2021 to Thursday, April 1, 2021.
This postponement will apply to the following municipal taxes and fees that will become due on January 1, 2021:
- Real Estate Tax -- 3rd installment of 2019 Grand List
- Motor Vehicle Tax -- 2nd installment of 2019 Grand List
- Supplemental Motor Vehicle Tax -- 2019 Grand List
- Personal Property Tax -- 2nd installment of 2019 Grand List
- 2020 Sewer Assessment -- 3rd installment
Again, the last day for payment of all of the above taxes without interest is extended from Monday, February 1, 2021 to Thursday, April 1, 2021.
- Imposition of lien fees is not affected.
- Real estate accounts in escrow and paid by a bank are not eligible for this program.
- No application is necessary for taxpayers, including businesses, unless they are considered a landlord.
- Landlords must qualify to be considered eligible by filing an application with the Tax Assessor’s Office. The application deadline is January 15, 2021. Questions: call the Tax Assessor’s Office at 203-452-5016. Landlords who were qualified in April, 2020 do not need to reapply.
- All other questions: call the Tax Collector’s Office at 203-452-5024.
- Taxpayers should further understand that January payments made after April 1, 2021 will bear interest at the rate of 1-1/2% per month, so that a payment made on April 2, for example, will require payment of 6% interest.
Additional information will be provided by the Governor’s Office within the next five days. We will update this announcement if anything changes.