Scouts in Government Day
Scouts in Government Day is an annual event organized by the Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts of America, and the Town of Trumbull. Participating scouts have the opportunity to mentor a Town official, employee, or volunteer and learn about their job and how our community operates. Scouts in Government Day is a Trumbull tradition that has continued since the 1970s!
2020 Scouts in Government Day
This year’s Scouts in Government Day event will be held on Thursday, March 26, 2020.
Scouts in Government Day applications must be received by Thursday, March 12, 2020 to be considered for selection.
- Scouts must at least be a 4th grade student or ten years old to participate.
- Scouts should select their first, second, and third job choice in order of preference.
- Scouts must submit a short essay on why they would like to serve in each their selected positions.
- Submit the application and essay to: Bill Chin, Technology Department, Town Hall, 5866 Main Street, Trumbull, CT 06611 or email email@example.com.
- Essays should be neat, typed or handwritten, and at least one paragraph long.
- Content is important so find out about the duties and responsibilities of the job. Refer to the Town of Trumbull website at www.trumbull-ct.gov for more information.
- Essays will be judged on content and effort.
- Essays should focus on the scout’s first job choice, but a few sentences about their second and third choice are helpful in case their first choice is assigned to another scout.
- Please remember that many scouts will be applying for these jobs. If a scout is not selected for their first choice, an attempt will be made to place them in their second or third choice…or in a related job. Preference is often given to scouts who have participated in Scouts in Government Day in the past!
- Scouts are encouraged to participate in Scouts in Government Day each year and learn about multiple positions.
- Scouts must wear a uniform to Scouts in Government Day.
- Scouts must bring a signed permission slip to Scouts in Government Day.
- Scouts must arrange transportation to Town Hall at 12:45 PM and pickup from Town Hall between 3:30 PM and 3:45 PM.
Schedule of Events
|12:45 PM||Scouts arrive to the Town Hall Council Chambers|
|1:00 PM to 1:15 PM||Opening Ceremony – Scouts are paired with their mentors|
|1:15 PM to 3:00 PM||Scouts job shadow with their mentors|
|3:00 PM to 3:30 PM||Closing Ceremony – Scouts receive certificates and briefly describe what they learned. Parents are encouraged to attend!|
|3:45 PM||Scouts depart|